Skip to main content

Kickin it with T: Learning Calligraphy Day 1

For my Major Digital Project I decided to teach myself how to do calligraphy. Calligraphy is decorative handwriting or handwritten lettering.


I love, love, LOVE watching calligraphy videos, I think that they are so calming because everything is so smooth and neat. Watching this progress of the words transform is so amazing and I want to be able to produce something just as crisp and clean as the videos that I see.

I chose to do calligraphy because I think that it is very pretty and elegant. It is a skill that not very many people can do, is inexpensive, and something that I can learn to do in the comfort of my own home. This week I just started learning the basics of  calligraphy then I tried to create my own based on the blog that I used  called Faux Calligraphy Tutorial: Step by Step

Before I began, gathered all my needed supplie: pens and paper. The paper that I chose to use for this blog were a journal I got for Christmas last year and over the weekend I bought a set of colorful manuscript pens from Michael's (Creative Lettering Colour Relax Dualtip by Manuscript)




But for this time I just used a simple ballpoint pen I got from TJ Maxx

Yes, my pen says 'Slay Always' :)




The main points that I learned are:
  •  The trick to making the letter have the calligraphy look is to make your down strokes more thick. (A down stroke is anytime your hand moves down when you create a letter.)
  • Exxagggeraaation (Exaggeration) of your letters are key. It is okay to experiment with your letters
  • Use your resources; don't be afraid to reference from other artists (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook)
  • Use a thicker pen, until you get good. When you use a thinner a pen you are able to see the uneven lines better (you don't want that). I used a thin pen and you will notice that you can see some of my flaws. 
  • And with anything else you do in life; practice, practice, practice. Practice transitions, letters, spacing, ect.
After following the simple steps from the previous blog above here is what I was able to create. 

Even though this is my first day working with this project, I think that it is going to be fun to learn.It is very simple. I took her tips about practicing letters to make make them to your satisfaction
 and I realized that I need to brush up on my cursive!
For my first day I an happy with how it turned out and know that there is only uphill from here. 

In my next blog, I will do some research and find a calligraphy artist that I like and show my practicing of cursive letters. Since I am a visual learner I will also try to find a video to help guide me. My goal for the end of this project is make something that I would be able to give as a gift (mug, canvas, glass). 

Comments

  1. A good start - this will be a very rewarding project and this skill will stay with you for many years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On My Honor, Being a Digital Citizen

For the most part, digital citizenship for me, reflects both my personal and professional life equally. I would never post or say anything online that I would not do in person. With that being said, I have never (purposefully) posted anything to hurt someone's feelings because I know how it feels and do not want anyone else to feel that way. If I have posted anything embarrassing of one of my friends, they have never asked me to take it down and if they have I would have no problem doing it. There have been plenty of pictures from high school that my friends have tagged me in that I have asked for them to take down, not because I was doing anything bad, but the picture was just plain embarrassing! (usually me dancing at a dance or being silly). As an adult and now looking back at it I can laugh and think to myself "why was I so weird" or "why did my friends hangout with me!?" Although my picture that I am tagged in are just harmless fun like dancing or

Cool Tool #1 Bitmoji

My original cool tool that I was going to review was Bitstrips, but unfortunately for me those have been replaced with Bitmoji, so instead of reviewing Bitstrips I will be reviewing Bitmoji. Bitmoji is your own, personal, emoji. It is a cartoonish version of yourself that can be really be used anywhere! It can be integrated with Facebook, Facebook messenger, gmail, snapchat, text or anything using google. This app is very user friendly and can be downloaded onto your computer using chrome or on your phone (Apple or Android). Once you download Bitmoji, you create your personal avatar and go from there. What makes this so easy is that all you have to do is make the avatar look like you and BAM you are done and let the fun begin! With that, I do not think that students will face any challenges using this piece of technology. The challenge that I do see happening is how teachers could use this tool in a classroom (when it comes to being educational) because there are not