Skip to main content

Cool Tool #1 Bitmoji



My original cool tool that I was going to review was Bitstrips, but unfortunately for me those have been replaced with Bitmoji, so instead of reviewing Bitstrips I will be reviewing Bitmoji.

Bitmoji is your own, personal, emoji. It is a cartoonish version of yourself that can be really be used anywhere! It can be integrated with Facebook, Facebook messenger, gmail, snapchat, text or anything using google.


This app is very user friendly and can be downloaded onto your computer using chrome or on your phone (Apple or Android). Once you download Bitmoji, you create your personal avatar and go from there. What makes this so easy is that all you have to do is make the avatar look like you and BAM you are done and let the fun begin! With that, I do not think that students will face any challenges using this piece of technology.

The challenge that I do see happening is how teachers could use this tool in a classroom (when it comes to being educational) because there are not very many ways (if at all) that it can be aligned with the standards. But I do think that it would be fun to use in a classroom. It is a cool way to get students attention because it adds a little play in the classroom and it keeps students motivated to want to see when and where you will place a Bitmoji next. If you allow students to create their own I think that it might help them communicate and express themselves which will result in them gaining more confidence.

When it comes to incorporating Bitmoji into the classroom there are a couple of ideas that come to mind:

 1) You could make passes for your students to use in class such as: homework passes, music passes, and bonus points on a test.

2) In any subject you could make a comic strip of some sort or this would also be a good idea for students to create a collage the first week of school to tell the class about themselves. This is one that would take a bit of time because you have to create the speech bubbles  for your comic or strategically for what pictures describe you.

3) When you make a test or exit slip you could add Bitmojis to do the following:
Motivate

Encourage

Reinforce directions


4) When it comes to having your students take notes or using a PowerPoint you could use these to make students aware that this section of notes are important/going to be on the test



Or use as an instructional hook to get students thinking (and smiling) but hopefully thinking




5) You could also use these to start a discussion or use on homework that you want students to elaborate more about because you are going to discuss it in class. It could also be something that you want students to think about or used as a key for something you want as a writing prompt.




6) You could also create stickers to pass out to students when they are having a bad day, I know that if these were around when I was in school I would have loved to get a cartoon sticker with my teacher on it. It shows that the teacher notices that I am having a bad day and that they are having fun, which makes school fun.

7) Bulletin boards

I am sure there are other ways that this could be used in a classroom but I just wanted to share a few.
I think that Bitmoji is a fun, simple technology that I would use in my classroom for possible summative projects or activities but not really to enforce a concept we learned in class. If anything it will get your students smiling when they leave your class and a topic of discussion (hopefully positive) with their friends.


Comments

  1. Thanks for playing catchup on all your previous posts. This cool tool looks like it has many uses. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On My Honor, Being a Digital Citizen

For the most part, digital citizenship for me, reflects both my personal and professional life equally. I would never post or say anything online that I would not do in person. With that being said, I have never (purposefully) posted anything to hurt someone's feelings because I know how it feels and do not want anyone else to feel that way. If I have posted anything embarrassing of one of my friends, they have never asked me to take it down and if they have I would have no problem doing it. There have been plenty of pictures from high school that my friends have tagged me in that I have asked for them to take down, not because I was doing anything bad, but the picture was just plain embarrassing! (usually me dancing at a dance or being silly). As an adult and now looking back at it I can laugh and think to myself "why was I so weird" or "why did my friends hangout with me!?" Although my picture that I am tagged in are just harmless fun like dancing or

Kickin it with T: Learning Calligraphy Day 1

For my Major Digital Project I decided to teach myself how to do calligraphy. Calligraphy is decorative handwriting or handwritten lettering. I love, love, LOVE watching calligraphy videos , I think that they are so calming because everything is so smooth and neat. Watching this progress of the words transform is so amazing and I want to be able to produce something just as crisp and clean as the videos that I see. I chose to do calligraphy because I think that it is very pretty and elegant. It is a skill that not very many people can do, is inexpensive, and something that I can learn to do in the comfort of my own home. This week I just started learning the basics of  calligraphy then I tried to create my own based on the blog that I used  called  Faux Calligraphy Tutorial: Step by Step .  Before I began, gathered all my needed supplie: pens and paper. The paper that I chose to use for this blog were a journal I got for Christmas last year and over the weekend I bought a